- Tether is a Hong Kong-based company that took the “revolutionary” (or “de-evolutionary, depending on who you ask) turn to converting fiat currency–USD, EUR, and others–into cryptocurrency.
- Tether currently has a market cap worth $673,139,694; its average daily volume trading approximately $629,841,000.
- Tether is pegged (or “tethered”) to the US Dollar and offers USDT, which are dollar-backed digital tokens.
- You can also view Tether as a digital link to certain real-world assets to which it can be converted.
- From this perspective, Tether is less a digital currency than a means to “deploy” fiat currencies using digital means.
- Tether used to be RealCoin—it’s rebranding as “Tether” helped propel it beyond its previously inert state.
- One advantage that Tether may have over Bitcoin is its low volatility, as the former is unalterably pegged to the US Dollar, giving a “stable exchange rate.”
- Tether claims transparency of service with no hidden fees and commission charged to its customers.
- Tether’s industry supporters include Omni, Bitfinex, Poloniex, ShapeShift, Ambisafe, GoCoin, HolyTransaction, Expresscoin, RCHANGE, CCEX, Kraken, Bittrex, Liqui, Cryptopia, Megachange, and HitBTC.
The risk of loss in the trading of stocks, options, futures, forex, foreign equities, and bonds can be substantial and is not suitable for all investors. Trading on margin or the use of leverage is not suitable for all investors and losses exceeding your initial deposit is possible. Supporting documentation is available upon request. Trading futures, options on futures, and forex involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Carefully consider whether trading is suitable for you in light of your circumstances, knowledge, and financial resources and only risk capital should be used. Opinions, market data, and recommendations are subject to change at any time. The lower the margin used the higher the leverage and therefore increases your risk. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results